Foreign minister AK Abdul Momen on Saturday said at least 41 non-government organisations were withdrawn from the Rohingya camps in Cox’s Bazar for their ‘misdoings’.
He said 139 NGOs were active in the Rohingya camps, but all kinds of activities of 41 of them have been suspended on charge of their involvement in different unapproved activities in the camp areas.
The foreign minister made the comment while talking to the journalists after inaugurating Medical Waste Management Process at Lalmatia under Dakshin Surma in Sylhet city in the morning.
He said that the NGOs brought funds from foreign countries to help the Rohingyas, and thus Bangladesh also benefited.
But the problem ensued when the foreign funds were not spent in proper way and the NGOs got involved in wrongdoings in the Rohingya camp area, Momen said.
‘Several NGOs are engaged in misdoings still now. Steps would be taken against them,’ Momen said, adding that many of the organisations were lobbying for not taking action against them.
Earlier in the inaugural programme, Momen appreciated his elder brother Abul Maal Abdul Muhith, also former finance minister, and Sylhet City Corporation mayor Ariful Haque Chowdhury saying that the initiative of medical waste management process could not be started without their help.
SCC mayor Ariful Haque Chowdhury, its chief executive officer Bidhayak Roy Chowdhury, councilors Azadur Rahman Azad, Azam Khan and Saleh Ahmad Selim, Private Hospital and Clinic Association president Nasim Ahmad, and the local leaders and activists of Awami League attended the programme.